Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Mulch: Ugly but Effective

I really don't like mulch. It reminds me of childhood playgrounds and I really didn't want to use it in my vegetable garden.  So if I hate mulch so much, why does my garden look like this now?
Noooooo!
I ultimately gave in because, despite creating a raised bed garden on top of barren soil, I've been getting loads of weeds.  Weed control isn't the only reason to mulch, though.

Why You Should Mulch Your Garden

  • Reduces weeds.  It is much easier for a weed to break through a layer of soil than a layer of wood chips
  • Insulates against temperature extremes
  • Moderates moisture levels.  Water that doesn't absorb into the roots can evaporate off of the top of the soil
  • Topsoil retention.  The topmost layer of soil is less likely to blow away or get washed away when covered in mulch
  •  When it decomposes, it releases nutrients
  • Fallen fruit is less likely to bruise on a bed of cushy mulch vs water-compacted soil
  • Some people think it looks nice.  They're wrong, of course. 
So there you have it. The benefits of mulch outweigh its ugliness.  I have conceded. Go forth and mulch your gardens.  Just, for the love of gardening, don't use the red mulch.  It's ugly enough as it is- no need to make it also look like the garden grandma built in 1957. 

Stay weed-free!

Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment