Sunday, June 24, 2012

Parsley from Seeds

About a month ago I was in Target's $1 section when I happened upon the cutest little gardening kit.
Product info available at http://www.buzzyseeds.com/
The kit comes with seeds, dehydrated soil, and a little plastic cup.  Instructions are on the back of the cardboard packaging.  All you do is wet the soil, allow it to expand, and then just barely plant the seeds underneath the soil.  I planted 8 of the seeds (about 1/3 of the total seeds) and 100% of them sprouted.  Not too shabby.
It's a parsley victory for this gardener.
The only problem with the kit is that the pot has absolutely no drainage.  This meant that I got a little mold at one point and had to let the soil dry out and the parsley got a bit wilty.  Perhaps poke some holes in the bottom of the plastic pot before planting the seeds in the first place.



Now that the plants are starting to crowd, it's time to re-pot. I chose my favorite pot: a Walmart plastic bottom-watering pot that is about 6 inches in diameter.
Still labeled from my last parsley plant that was killed by... who knows what.
I decided to thin out the parsley population because some of the sprouts were much slower to grow than others.  I kept all of the plants that had developed parsley-shaped leaves, as opposed to just baby leaves.  The easiest part of all of this was absolutely removing the plants from their pot. Just turn upside down and...
Mmmm... clumpy soil.
Teasing apart the plants was a little more obnoxious, but not impossible.  And the final result?
Four pretty plants

Lovely.  When the parsley becomes 6-9 inches tall I'll be planting it directly into the raised garden bed I built.  I even left a little space for the herbs in the front.  If it doesn't do well there, these 4 sprouts should grow just fine in this side pot, especially with all the pruning I will be doing.  Pruning, in this case, means picking off to eat.

Stay soily,

Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment