Monday, July 2, 2012

Lovely Lilac

Spray paint really can do anything.
You may be wondering what lilac has to do with red and orange lines sprayed on a sad looking lawn.  Well, in Maryland, if you're planning on doing any digging, you have to notify Miss Utility before you dig.  In Maryland, it's the law to verify where all power lines, pipes, gas lines, etc are in your yard before you dig them up.  Digging up utility lines and pipes can result in downed service for yourself and others, or even death if you electrocute yourself. 

All of the lines that go through our yard are in the front, well in front of the landscaped areas.  However, they may be problematic down the line when we edge our trees with stone.

So what's this about lilacs?


There appears to be something growing from my mini cooper.
The whole reason I called Miss Utility on the scene is because the farmer's/local market down the street had a sale on lilac bushes.  This one sprouting from my car was $29.00.  It should produce pinkish or purplish flowers next spring.
In bucket, it stands about 4-5 ft tall.
Recognize that little bit of fake wood trim? That's the raised bed garden to the left.  I'll be removing the grass from that little corner and planting the lilac in a mixture of compost, generic garden soil, and peat moss, topped with a wee bit of mulch.  I will only be pulling the grass at the perimeter, not digging, since I'm going to be working next to the foundation.

I picked this location because a tall plant will get plenty of afternoon sun.  Also, since it's on a slight hill, the soil will drain well.  I have heard from countless gardeners and my mother (a lilac pro), "lilacs don't like getting their feet wet."  I'll have to remove a lot of clay/rocks and put in good, well draining soil if I want my lilacs to flourish. 

Stay tuned in the next week or two for photos of the lilac in the ground.

Happy gardening!

Christine











No comments:

Post a Comment