Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Crushed Red Peppers

Peppery Deliciousness

Months ago I strung up my cayenne peppers to dry in the kitchen window.  I added more and more peppers all summer into the fall as they ripened.  I tried crushing up the dried peppers a variety of ways.  Every knife I used just seemed to spray the peppers everywhere as I chopped them.  I tried putting them in a plastic bag and smashing them, but they just smashed in to very large pieces. 

Then I remembered this beauty:
It's the Microplane Herb Mill.  You can get it here or here or even here for about $20.  I think I even saw it once at Ross for $10.  Basically it has a compartment you can put herbs in and the handle presses the herbs into two very small sets of blades. 

Just watch!
Cut off the stems

Insert 3-4 cayenne peppers

Rotate the handle to grind grind grind.

Store in a totally cute container.

I bought a set of shakers for red pepper and parmesan cheese months ago here. I made the label using my beloved Brother Label Maker

Helpful Hints:
- Wear gloves when working with hot peppers.  I scrubbed my hands after working with the peppers and I still burned myself when I touched my eye later.
- The herb mill works best with dried herbs.  It says it works with fresh herbs that have been patted dry, but I find that they just gunk up the blades.


Happy Gardening,

Christine 



No comments:

Post a Comment