Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Back in the Garden

After a hectic-fabulous wedding and 2 week honeymoon in paradise, I'm back to the garden!  While I was gone with my husband, my father stayed at our house and promised to water the plants.  That's right, the same dad who ran over all of my tomato plants each year with his lawn mower, despite the fact that they were in cages.

It was a leap of faith.

I came back with most of the plants intact.  Unfortunately, a storm raged through our area and snapped two branches off of my cayenne peppers.  These branches were laden with fully grown but unripe peppers- all of which are still green.  Thankfully I was able to salvage every last one and pick a few red ones while at it.

Hot hot hot
When cayenne peppers are green, they aren't as spicy.  I'll be using the green (and mostly green) peppers for salsa and all of the red peppers for crushed red pepper flakes.  We just got a food processor for our wedding, so I'll be able to crush up the dried red peppers.

Since this plant has been so fantastic and they die every year, I'm going to save the seeds of 2-3 peppers and try to replant next year.  If this variety is this successful when I put the plant in the ground 2 months late.. well.. next year I'll be swimming in peppers.

Stay spicy,

Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment